Position Title:Department Specialist
Company:City Of Escondido
Location:Escondido, CA, US
Under general supervision, performs a variety of technical duties in support of the City’s Code Compliance programs: monitors and enforces a variety of codes and ordinances in support of City departments, including those related to zoning, land use, planning, and related codes, public nuisances, abandoned vehicles, and other issues relating to the health, safety, and welfare of the community. Serves as a resource and provides information on City regulations to property owners, residents, businesses, the general public, and other City departments and divisions.
- Performs a variety of field and office work in support of the City’s Code Compliance program; enforces compliance with City regulations and ordinances including those pertaining to the violation of zoning, land use and planning codes, public nuisances, abandoned vehicles, and other issues relating to health, safety and welfare of the community.
- Investigates and responds to public complaints, conducts onsite inspections and re-inspections, determines existence and type of code violations; recommends corrective actions in order to bring about compliance, determines time frames for compliance and assists homeowners and businesses to obtain compliance.
- Issues Notices of Violation in the form of handwritten notices and letters to businesses, residents, property owners, and managers.
- Responds to inquiries from and advises property owners and the public regarding compliance with zoning regulations, property maintenance standards, regulatory practices, and current active code compliance cases.
- Documents violations per procedural guidelines, such as Notices of Violations and citations; maintains records of evidence in the form of photographs and case notes.
- Attains compliance from difficult individuals and situations. Responds tactfully, clearly, concisely and appropriately both verbally and in writing.
- Conducts research regarding property ownership and applicable codes; maintains a computer database of evidence and data.
- Operations, services, and activities of a municipal code enforcement program;
- Principles, practices, and methods used in the enforcement of a variety of codes;
- Procedures involved in the enforcement of codes and regulations including methods and techniques of conducting and documenting field investigations;
- Applicable federal, state, and local codes, laws and regulations related to building, zoning, housing, and nuisance violations; legal actions applicable to code enforcement compliance;
- Public relations and conflict resolution methods and techniques;
- Record keeping practices;
- Business letter writing and basic report preparation techniques;
- Office equipment including computers and word processing and spreadsheet applications;
- Occupational hazards and standard safety procedures.