Position Title: Operations Project Engineer
Company: National Grid
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
As an Operations Project Engineer, you will represent the area and provide operational and technical support throughout the design, procurement, construction, commissioning, delivery and acceptance phases of major capital projects. The Area Operations Manager will determine the requirement and timescales for an Operations Representative to be assigned to a project, with the role being fully capitalised.
- Provide leadership to the team within Area Operations responsible for supporting major CAPEX programmes of work and delivering minor CAPEX projects through close collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Responsible for coordinating the delivery of directly allocated CAPEX allowances to achieve regulatory outputs within budget.
- Responsible for the effective interface and liaison between Area Operations and delivery units, ensuring that all internal & external project stakeholders are provided with operational and technical support from project initiation to completion throughout the design, procurement, construction, commissioning, delivery, and acceptance phases of major construction projects.
- Manage the safe setting to work of all activities in accordance with the safe control of operations procedures driving a team culture of safe working and safety compliance in all activities within policies and procedures, undertake incident investigations and safety & technical inspections, and authorise safe setting to work documents.
- Provide operational and technical input to project commissioning plans and activities, identify resources and requirements, test and commissioning procedures & records, liaising with all stakeholders to allow newly installed or modified plant and equipment to be fully operationally commissioned.
- Point of contact between Operations and delivery units for Operations resources, workload and project plans to ensure that project milestones are achieved, including attendance at project planning & review meetings, hazard & risk studies, on and off-site witness testing including factory acceptance testing, audit & inspection activities, permit coordination, preparation and Authorising Engineer for all preconstruction, construction and commissioning activities.
- Ensure the completion and handover of all relevant project documentation, including management of outstanding issues and snag lists, new and updated drawings, asset information, manufacturer and user manuals, software licences, updating of site-local and Gas National Control Centre (GNCC) operational procedures, agreeing on requirements for inclusion within operational acceptance certification.
- Role model able to demonstrate visible safety leadership to all stakeholders including the identification of best practice safety initiatives between main works contractors & sub-contractors and Operations, driving safety compliance and performance to improve safety in the workplace.
- Responsible for ensuring all pipeline maintenance, defect rectification, operational activities and project works are undertaken in line with relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Assist in the identification and selection of operational support capabilities for new plant and equipment, including operational and strategic spares, the reallocation of redundant equipment, staff familiarisation and training requirements, and ongoing work delivery and support options.
- Undertake the role of incident controller during planned and emergency situations and participate in 24/7 standby rota and emergency response.
- A strong engineering and asset management background.
- Sound understanding of engineering policy, procedures and statutory regulations associated with transmission assets.
- Excellent leadership, influencing, customer orientation and communication skills, providing the ability to promote team working and harmonious working between direct staff, project teams and contractors at all levels.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Good financial management abilities.
- Energetic and enthusiastic leadership skills with drive and ambition.
- A passionate belief in personal and process safety.
- Knowledge of gas entry/exit procedures associated with GSMR and the Network Code.
- The ability to establish sustainable relationships with key internal and external personnel.
- High personal standards of commitment and integrity.
- Educated to a minimum of HNC in a relevant engineering discipline, with significant relevant experience, ideally working towards Incorporated Engineer status.
- IOSH Managing Safely.
- Valid current UK driving licence.
About National Grid
National Grid is one of the world's largest utilities, focused on delivering energy safely, efficiently, reliably and responsibly. National Grid is an international electricity and gas company and one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world. We play a vital role in delivering gas and electricity to many millions of people across Great Britain and northeastern US in an efficient, reliable and safe manner.