Position Title: Communications Manager
Company: Metropolitan Police
Location: Ilford, United Kingdom
We are seeking a talented and confident professional communicator to showcase the work of the police and drive positive interactions with Londoners.
- Quality assure our products and services, ensuring timely action is taken if they fail to meet standards.
- Support the development, delivery and maintenance of training and reference material relating to dealing with the media.
- Be prepared to deal with unexpected breaking issues which on occasion will require working beyond normal expected hours.
- Pick up on essential administrative duties as required by the desk.
- Ensure you are proactive in organising news diaries, forward planning.
- Effectively contribute to news systems such as forward planning, media contact lists and other
- tasks to ensure the smooth running of the department.
- Manage other communications tasks and projects as required
- Actively seek learning and development opportunities to enhance role.
- Manage the governance standards and guidelines around media delivery, ensuring professional delivery, and always maintaining a tight control on content and quality.
- Be part of an on-call rota and be prepared to work out of normal office hours if circumstances demand it and at short notice.
- Monitor own and colleagues’ work against plans and milestones and act promptly to ensure activity stays on track and outcomes are delivered.
- Seek external insight / research / best practice and new ideas and contribute to the development of communications practices and processes and continual improvement.
- Manage the measurement and monitoring of news branch performance, provide regular reports and use the analysis to drive continual improvement and development.
- Line manage news branch assistants (typically one to two) and support other communications colleagues as required.
- Monitor media and organise responses to developing news stories.
- One role will require shift work on our Press Bureau which currently operates between the hours of 6am and 11pm, seven days a week, but with the possibility that you will have to cover a full 24-hour shift pattern.
- As part of the shift rota, you will be required to work weekends for which you will receive additional premium pay.
- The shift role will attract a shift disturbance allowance of 15% of your salary.
About Ilford, United Kingdom
The Metropolitan Police Service is famed around the world and has a unique place in the history of policing.